This year’s NHL Trade Deadline resembled a NASCAR race where it was nap worthy before everyone woke up the final 75 minutes of the day. Let’s take a peek at the day’s maneuvers.
1) MTL – A. Kostitsyn to NSH for ’13 2nd Rd and Condidtional ’13 5th Rd: Risky but might work out for Nashville, AK needed out of MTL and some wonder if the Brothers Kostitsyn will be the remedy needed, probably still a depth scoring move.
2) DET – M. Commodore to TB for Conditional ’13 7th Rd: TB needed bodies for their revamped defense. Commodore wasn’t playing in DET. Quincey rendered Commodore even less useful. Makes sense in a ho-hum yeah sure why not way.
3) EDM – Tom Gilbert to MIN for Nick Schultz: Little bit confused. Defense is a huge issue for the Oilers and they went this route instead of having 5 million to spend in the offseason that they decided to give to Ales Hemsky instead. Adding Schultz doesn’t make this even a salary dump.
4) TB – Carter Ashton to TML for Keith Aulie: First real solid deal for the day. TML wanted size, TB needs D. Should work for both sides.
5) COL – Daniel Winnik, TJ Galiardi, ’13 7th Rd to SJ for Jamie McGinn, Mike Connolly, Michael Sgarbossa: Trying to figure out how this makes the Sharks better. Losing McGinn hurts their physicality and didn’t address their need for D. Perhaps a general shake up after the recent road skid.
6) OTT – Brian Lee to TB for Matt Gilroy: Don’t really look at this as much more than TB continuing their defense revamp.
7) CBJ – Samuel Pahlsson to VAN for Tyler Ellington and 2 ’13 4th round picks: Think Ellington was just an little throw in, 2 fourth’s don’t seem like quite as much as I thought the Jackets could have got. Perhaps numbers won over, 2 fourth’s over one third rounder.
8) WPG – Johnny Oduya to CHI for ’13 2nd Rd and ’13 3rd Rd: Even with getting Grant Clitsome off of waivers, it is a little surprising to move an asset when in the middle of a playoff fight even if Oduya is having a struggle this year. These two picks make i highly dangerous for Bowman and could easily get him on the hotseat if this doesn’t work.
9) NYI – Brian Rolston and Mike Mottau to BOS for Yannick Riendeau and Marc Cantin: Seems like a depth move for Boston. Rolston hasn’t been good this year but is probably better than the AHLers in the Bruin system.
10) BUF – Paul Gaustad and ’13 4th Rd to NSH for ’13 1st Rd: Solid pickup for NSH but wow Darcy Regier got his 1st rounder for Gaustad? Very much agog (still a great word) here.
11) BOS – Steve Kampfer to MIN for Greg Zanon: Looking for Zanon to drop Corvo down the depth chart here. Good D upgrade for BOS. Fowards appear to have to room for error though.
12) CHI – John Scott to NYR for ’13 5th Rd: Never change Sather, never change. Almost like he got bored. No biggie either way.
13) ANA – Mark Fraser to TOR for Dale Mitchell: Toronto’s replacement for Aulie for the Marlies is all I gather from this.
14) BUF – Zack Kassian and Marc-Andre Grangani to VAN for Cody Hodgson and Alexander Sulzer: HUGE for Buffalo on this one! Center was a big need. Kassian will do well for Vancouver but Buffalo should be very happy with this one.
15) ANA – Andrew Gordon to VAN for Sebastien Erixon: Not surprised, Gordon was in Boudreau’s doghouse in Washington and was the odd man out under BB in Anaheim as well.
–Penguins did nothing and that is probably the right thing. Sidney Crosby is all the addition the Penguins really need.
–Same with New Jersey, as Lamarello said that their best moves are getting Zajac and Tallinder healthy.
–Several teams couldn’t decide if they were buyers or sellers and ended up doing nothing. It will be interesting to see which of these teams will regret such lack of moves or will have made the right decision.
–Big fan of Vancouver and Buffalo’s days.
–The Rick Nash saga will be a hot topic despite him being a Blue Jacket for the remainder of the season.
–The road to the playoffs begins, are you ready for the ride??